Tuesday 11 February 2014

News from death row

I had a letter from Irving today. He says:

We don't have acess to the prison laundry or even detergent. I wash my clothing in the state issue soap. Some guys wash clothes in the toilet, but I use my sink.....To dry I use my shoestrings. I hang one end on the light fixture and the bolt sticking out he back wall. I can only hang two articles at a time in order not to break the line. In the summer time when the wet air blows through the vents and the humidity is high, nothing dries.

He says he's no longer has access to the prison library and if he "doesn't get to read something, he'll go mad".

So. No work, no radio, no television, nothing to read, and no opportunity for redemption. And the US is supposed to be one of the most civilised countries in the world. Yes, I know this man committed (or probably committed) a vile crime. There are no excuses; not even his appalling childhood.  But he is a human being. What is any of this achieving?

I could weep.

9 comments:

  1. I don't know who told you that 'the US is supposed to be one of the most civilised countries in the world' (ahem). The old stuff about Land of the Free, etc, is a load of hogwash. Most Yanks I've met in Europe are AMAZED by how liberal we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose you're right, CM.
      And this is the nation that helped us won the war...

      Delete
  2. Francis, the US is one of the most barbaric countries. Get down into Texas and run north up the east coast and finding anyone who is literate is a task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Adrian. I read today that Rick Perry, governor of Texas, is trying to lure people from Washington (where the death penalty has just been suspended) to live in Texas, where "we believe in the sanctity of death".

      Words fail me.

      Delete
  3. I first read this a few minutes after you published it and just couldn't think what to say. The more I read about the US the more I realise just how fortunate I am to live in two countries which are so much more enlightened. Don't get me wrong. When I was last in California I found the people lovely (even though anyone person who ate in a diner ate enough for breakfast to feed an African village for a week). But so much about the country and it's attitudes (from creationism over science to the right to shoot pretty much anyone you feel like - provided they vote Republican) and the way it treats people as you describe (probably calling themselves Christians whilst doing it) just sickens me. I know. I should have just not commented. Sometimes I let my heart get the better of my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - please carry on commenting, GB! Your comments are always valuable, and it's always good to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. What happened to basic human rights? Words fail me. Did I read correctly, that he used shoelaces? Thought they weren't allowed any like that in prison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rosemary. I was surprised about the shoelaces, too. But as they are apparently only strong enough to support two items of laundry, I doubt whether they could be used for anything else.

      Delete
  5. I'm happy this monster is getting hell on earth. He doesn't even deserve this much. My friend would be 30 next year, but he still gets to breathe. She was a wonderful person with the best future ahead of her. Her parent's house is now like a shrine. How would you feel knowing your child has been dead 13 years? Her grave never goes without flowers. If you really knew every single detail of this horrific murder, and if you were there to know they were forced to have a closed casket funeral because of what he did to her.... I really don't think someone who really knows what happened would really be in support of this demon. I've spoken my peace here, and in a way I'm grateful that you have this little blog going on with his words. But somehow, I still don't see justice.

    ReplyDelete