Wednesday 23 January 2013

Enough already

Dear Winter

Okay. You've done what you came to do. You've stripped the leaves from the trees, chucked every kind of precipitation you can at us, tipped us over on frozen pavements and filled A&E departments with broken limbs. You've helped retailers sell woolly vests and those hideous furry boots, and prevented (some of) us from riding horses or going for walks. Plants have had the necessary hibernation period to help them do their thing in the spring. We have put on layers and shovelled snow and played our part, and if all this was intended to strengthen our characters, then I for one can assure you that  my character is now very strong indeed. In other words, you have SERVED YOUR PURPOSE.

Now, please, please will you just go away?

22 comments:

  1. Dear Frances,
    Okay, so you may think I've made my point, but after listening to people moaning about the effects global warming I thought I better nip back and make my presents known.

    Yours

    Mr De Winter

    ReplyDelete
  2. The novelty of winter is wearing off for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just slipped over on the ice - again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...um, yeah...winter is the main reason I moved to sunny, warm Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have had enough of the white stuff which is now dirty grey stuff. I don't want to be wishing away my life but roll on Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to wish your life away, Lynne. Just say you want spring NOW!

      Delete
  6. YES! I've had enough now...be gone snow..and DO NOT get replaced with ice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all looking so grubby now. And I'm fed up with life outside the house being so difficult. Plus, the straps of the warm rug I ordered for our mini Shetland won't fit round her non-mini tummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring her into the house and lend her a sweater?

      Delete
  8. My Hebridean friends are complaining about lack of snowy photo opportunites.

    PS Why are you talking to some imaginary being in the sky Frances. Oh sorry. People do that all the time don't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB, there is NOTHING imaginary about winter. Trust me.

      Delete
  9. I think you speak for us all, Frances :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. If the end of January will mean the end of winter, I'm OK with that and can bear another week of it. What I truly hate is when there are some mild, spring-like days in between, and then - BAM! - winter comes back and kills every tiny bud and every little animal for miles around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've forgotten the local cheering remark about the cold ( minus 5C today ).
    "This'll kill all the viruses !"
    And us , too , if it doesn't thaw soon ...

    ReplyDelete