Thursday 14 July 2011

The horse diaries - horse poo and butterflies


So we moseyed along yesterday, in the sunshine, me looking for butterflies and Titch looking for horse poo.

Me: I wish you wouldn't do that.
Titch: (sniffing a nice fresh pile) Not doing any harm, am I?
Me: Well...it's not very nice, is it?
Titch: I like it. I can smell who's been here last.
Me: Great.
Titch: It's a horse thing. You wouldn't understand.
Me: Well, I'm looking for butterflies. David Attenborough's asked us all to count them.
Titch: Who's David Attenborough?
Me: You'd like him. He's interested in animals.
Titch: Good man.
Me: Though come to think of it, he's not much interested in horses. He prefers wild animals.
Titch: I can he wild.
Me: No. What you can be is naughty. That's not the same thing at all.

So we agreed to differ. Titch found lots of horse poo to sniff, and I saw marbled whites (see above), meadow browns, common blues, common whites, and (I think) a red admiral. Diffcult to identify as they don't stay still long enough. But altogether, we had a nice morning.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a blissful, happy morning, despite Titch's proclivity for sniffing out, er, horsey poo.

    The butterfly is pretty too!

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your conversations with Titch! (And I bet David Attenborough would love him!)

    I saw a speckled wood butterfly yesterday - I don't think I've ever seen one of those before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a love picture you created in my mind's eye. Titch is such an interesting animal I'm sure David Attenborough would enjoy chatting with him as much as we love reading about him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a love picture you created in my mind's eye. Titch is such an interesting animal I'm sure David Attenborough would enjoy chatting with him as much as we love reading about him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Judy. Yes - we had a very happy moorning.

    Nevets, sea horses are different. Plus, you can't ride them.

    Hi, Teresa. It's an amazing year for butterflies, and we see clouds of them up on the downs.

    Hi, Jarmara. You may be right, but Titch says he's got nothing to say to David Attenborough (I think he's still cross about our misunderstanding over 'wild').

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't ride them? Not even side-saddle?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Nevets, if you're very, very small, perhaps...? Oh, and waterproof.

    ReplyDelete